We Are The World Blogfest and Sunsets for Kate
Welcome to the first post of the We Are the World Blogfest #WATWB! You can sign up here.
For the We Are The World premier post I would like feature Sunsets for Kate. In some ways it is about a lovely lady who shares her life with Usher syndrome. But, it is about so much more. This is because Kate set up a blog about collecting sunsets and stories.
Kate, among many things, is also a wife and mum. So, other people have a vested interest in her health and wellbeing as well. But, let’s hear a bit from Kate in her own words:
“I was fifteen when diagnosed with Usher syndrome. Already hearing impaired, I was told I would also become visually impaired, and one day, to be exact, by the time I was forty, I would be blind. The good news is, forty has come and gone and I am not blind. Winning! But soon, maybe soon.
Wondering what I will regret when I no longer have sight, I realised it will not be the places I have not yet seen, but all the sunsets I will miss.
And so I had this idea. Sunsets for Kate. Why not invite people to share sunsets with me and I can see a lifetime of sunsets in the lifetime of my sight.
I am motivated to use my impending blindness to open the eyes of others.”
Through reaching out to other people, Kate has received not only many sunsets, but many stories too. Her openness to others has also led her to travel, experiencing people and cultures around the world.
As she describes:
“Travel has allowed me to witness the bond that extends with a smile, across cultures, borders, classes and religion.
It has opened my eyes to both how big and how small the world can be, my ears to the common language of kindness, and my heart to the dreams shared by all across the globe.
Through my creativity and writing, I seek to share my adventures, my experiences, and stories, not only to be a voice for me, but a voice for others like me, all over the world.”
In Honour of ‘Sunsets for Kate’
We spend our days of life,
Thriving in the light,
Amid many joys and strife,
And resting in the night.
When our earthly days are waning,
Our play and toil are done,
Then our gratitude is gaining,
And we behold the setting sun.
Simon C.J. Falk 31 March 2017
Want to spread more cheer with other great writers.
Let us flood social media with peace and love, and “In Darkness, Be Light.” This is the first post for We Are The World Blogfest – 31st March 2017.
- Keep your post to below 500 words, as much as possible.
- All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love, humanity, and brotherhood. Something like this news, about a man who only fosters terminally ill children.
- Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
- Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
- We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
- To signup, add your link in WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below.
Please SIGN UP for WE ARE THE WORLD BLOGFEST in the linky list below:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…