From Harrowing Towards Wholeness and Healing
While driving around the countryside for work commitments I was listening once more to Parker J. Palmer’s ‘Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation‘. In this book, Palmer describes how he experienced a clinical depression after trying to live a life that was not his to live. Seemingly, it was a life that did not fit, or suit, him.
As he emerged from a bout of depression, he discovered that, in some ways, the depression was a veiled gift to him. It taught him that the life he was living was harming him. He drafted the poem “Harrowing” included below.
(‘Harrowing”, a poem by Parker J. Palmer).
I know there have been times in my life where what was then perceived as a harrowing, later opened up to become a gift.
Some of us may be coming through tough times, saddening times, exhausting times. They may be matters personal to us. Alternatively, they may be triggered by recent horrific events in our world. Whichever the case may be, I post Palmer’s poem, as a promise of hope in regeneration and rejuvenation after times of trial.
Simon C.J Falk 4 June 2017
Looking for some stories of hope!
Please SIGN UP for WE ARE THE WORLD BLOGFEST in the linky list below:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
- Keep your post to below 500 words, as much as possible.
- All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love, humanity, and brotherhood. Something like this news, about a man who only fosters terminally ill children.
- Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
- Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
- We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
- To signup, add your link in WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below.