Welcome to another month of We Are the World #WATWB Blogfest.
The day I found out about The Sydney Story Factory I also discovered the story of Orange Sky on this clip. They have been in the Aussie news again recently because of a wonderful thing – they are growing. They are even in Canberra, the nearest capital to my part of the world.
Who or what are Orange Sky? They are people who do laundry – wash and dry clothes – for people who live on the streets.
First they did the washing.
Then they made friends.
Friends with street-people, with business people, the civic minded and anyone who is moved by their work.
“With nothing more than the clothes on their backs, $10 in their pockets and their cell phones, Nic Marchesi and Nich Kristock of Orange Sky Laundry recently spent two nights living on the streets of Sydney. Having never experienced homelessness personally, the goal of this unusual exercise was for the pair to gain a greater understanding of what it actually feels like to be homeless and to challenge some of the stereotypes which surround this vastly complex topic.
NK: “I guess you can’t ever fully understand what it’s like to be homeless if you’re just doing it for a few days, but I would like to get a better understanding of what it means to really feel that disconnect from people that are walking right next to you. Even though you’re both just people, there’s still that feeling of inferiority when you know you don’t have a home to go to. I want to understand better what it’s like to feel that way, so I can have a better conversation with a homeless friend.”
Looking for some stories of hope!
Please SIGN UP for WE ARE THE WORLD BLOGFEST in the linky list below:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
- Keep your post to below 500 words, as much as possible.
- All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love, humanity, and brotherhood. Something like this news, about a man who only fosters terminally ill children.
- Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
- Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
- We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
- To signup, add your link in WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List here.
As many of you know, keeping a blogfest going needs a pool of positive co-hosts. We started with 20. But, with the wear and tear of life on people’s health, we need some assistance with co-hosting. As Damyanti says: